Our family relates to the town of Winslow through our oldest known member of the Cross family, George Cross (1767-1844). George was born in Winslow and lived there throughout his life until his death in 1844. All of his children were born in Winslow.
Winslow is a small market town in north Buckinghamshire, in the centre of the Vale of Aylesbury. It has a population of about 15,000.
The town was first recorded in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle in 795 as Wineshlauu, which translated into modern English means Wine's Mound. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was recorded as Weneslai.
One of the finest buildings in Buckinghamshire is situated in this small town. Winslow Hall, which sits on the main road leading into the town from Aylesbury, is thought to have been designed by Sir Christopher Wren circa 1700, in his latter days twenty-five years after he designed St Paul's Cathedral in London. The building, while smaller than some other local mansions, is magnificently designed nonetheless.
The Parish Church was built in the 12th century and named after Saint Laurence who was an official of Rome martyred in 258 AD by the Prefect for refusing to reveal the treasures of his church.
The Church has grown over the centuries as can be seen in the diagram to the right.
In 1972 most of the gravestones were removed or laid flat for reasons of safety and maintenance. Some rest against the fence around the Church and some were used to cover passageways around the Churchyard. A picture of this is shown at the bottom of this page.
In 1642 there were 60 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £4.15.0 of which sum Robert Mainwaring contributed £0.10.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 242 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Winslow.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 1101 inhabitants in 225 families living in 219 houses recorded in Winslow.
Left: Gravestones that were removed and used to pave walking areas around the Churchyard. This is a picture of the west side of the Church, right below the tower.
Above: Gravestone of Anne Burgess, third wife of George Cross (1796-1863) who died November 12, 1828.
Created by Edgar H. Cross